Are you a fan of crossword puzzles and struggling to solve the clue “Cornice shapes”? This guide will help you understand what a cornice is and the various shapes it can come in, allowing you to solve this clue and any others related to cornices.
What is a Cornice?
A cornice is a decorative architectural element found on the topmost part of a building’s exterior or interior wall. It serves both a practical and aesthetic purpose, as it helps to protect the building from rain and other weather elements while also providing an attractive finishing touch.
Common Cornice Shapes
Cornices come in a variety of shapes, each with its own unique characteristics.
Here are some of the most common cornice shapes:
- Cyma Recta – This cornice shape features a concave curve at the bottom and a convex curve at the top, giving it an S-shaped appearance.
- Cyma Reversa – The opposite of cyma recta, this cornice shape has a convex curve at the bottom and a concave curve at the top, resembling a backward S.
- Ogee – An ogee cornice has a concave curve at the bottom and a convex curve at the top, but both curves are S-shaped, creating an elegant and sophisticated look.
- Dentil – This cornice shape is characterized by a series of small, evenly spaced blocks (called dentils) that run along the bottom edge of the cornice.
- Egg and Dart – An egg and dart cornice features alternating oval and V-shaped elements, giving it a distinctive pattern.
- Modillions – Similar to dentils, modillions are small, decorative blocks that run along the bottom of the cornice, but they are more elaborate in design.
Solving Cornice Shapes Crossword Clue
Now that you understand what a cornice is and the various shapes it can come in, you’re ready to solve any crossword clues related to cornices, including “Cornice shapes.”
Here are some tips to keep in mind:
- Consider the context – Look at the other clues in the puzzle and see if they provide any hints about what type of cornice shape is being referred to.
- Think about the building’s architecture – Consider the style of the building in question (e.g., Victorian, Greek Revival, etc.) and research common cornice shapes for that style.
- Use your knowledge of common cornice shapes – Review the list of common cornice shapes provided above and see if any of them fit the number of letters in the clue.
In conclusion, understanding what a cornice is and the various shapes it can come in is essential for solving crossword clues related to this architectural element. By familiarizing yourself with common cornice shapes like cyma recta, cyma reversa, ogee, dentil, egg and dart, and modillions, you’ll be better equipped to solve clues like “Cornice shapes” and impress your fellow crossword enthusiasts.
Hi, I am Amit kumar , Founder and Editor of http://theeducationwie.com . In this blog I answer questions related to the word mean , meaning & crossword clue etc. Let’s search on Google.